Areas of Expertise
- Member of the American Petroleum Institute group drafting mechanical standards, RP-537
- Participant in the industrial review of updates to American Petroleum Institute, RP-521
- Member of the EPA peer review committee
- Broad experience in environmental regulatory compliance for the energy and chemical industries, including participation on committees establishing performance standards and consulting on environmental permitting processes
- Inventor or co-inventor on more than 25 US Patents
- Process design
- Fluid flow
- Heat transfer
- Product development
- Rotating equipment
- Thermal radiation
- Air pollution control
- Technical writing
- Start-up and commissioning
- Patent and IP information
2001 to present: Tulsa Combustion LLC, Vice President, Technology
Responsible for all technical aspects of design and development of products and processes. Manage new product development. Supervise design engineers and provide overall quality control of design packages. Major emphasis on creating customer-friendly systems. Efforts at Tulsa Combustion have resulted in two new U.S. patents. Co-developed technology and equipment for oil shale retorting. Co-developed improved process for oil sands/tar sands oil recovery with reduced environmental impact.
1996 to 2001: Callidus Technologies Inc., Chief Engineer
Responsible for the practical application of technology for the sales, application engineering, and product development. Assisted in technical sales and trouble shooting for engineered products. Participated in the technical training of Callidus’s employees and customers.
1981 to 1996: John Zink Company, Director of Product Development
Responsible for the Company’s. test area, including the development of new products and performance demonstrations, and improvement of custom-engineered products and processes. Participated in the planning, erection and permitting of the new test area. Led an effort to apply computer-based data logging to the facility. Associate Director of Seminars for John Zink, responsible for the planning and instruction for the John Zink Institute. Responsible for patent evaluation and review and acted as technical interface with patent attorneys. Reviewed competitors products to insure new development were non-infringing.
1980 to 1981: C.E. Natco, Product Engineer
Product engineer for the C.E. Natco Heater Group. Conducted application engineering, sales and project management for heater products including indirect water bath heaters, CHF heaters, and oil-field steamers for the recovery of heavy crude oil. Principal engineer for the application of low-NOx burner technology to oil-fired steamers. The application of low-NOx technology also required participation in the improvement of control systems for steamers. Served as chief technical engineer in the first successful application of PLC controllers to steamers.
1971 to 1980: John Zink Company, Senior Engineer
Responsible for the applications engineering, sales and project engineering, and start-up of engineered systems and products. Many of the applications required product development and the development of engineering standards. Pioneered the development and application of air-assisted flare systems and the use of staged control systems. Earlier roles included Engineer, Applications Engineer and Test & Development Engineer.
Graduate Studies, Mechanical Engineering
University of Texas
Bachelor of Science, Mechanical Engineering
Oklahoma State University
- Registered Professional Engineer in the State of Oklahoma, OPE 15582.
- Published author of numerous articles
- Directed and participated in many flare tests for the development of flare emission standards including the CMA/EPA tests for the development of hydrocarbon rules and the DuPont/EER/CTI tests for hydrogen flare rules.
- Extensive experience in international business and travel, addressing both technical issues and commercial issues in conducting international business.